Retrofit your matrix-wired keyboard into one that produces MIDI output! The MKSC-4A (MIDI Keyboard Scan Computer) converts key-switch information from a single matrix-wired keyboard or pedalboard to MIDI control data.
Key-switches are conveniently wired in an 8x8 array (with diodes) using only sixteen wires. Designed as a stand-alone unit, it provides an interface so that organs can be provided with MIDI voices and can play other MIDI devices. Being very small, it can be mounted close to the key switches, ideal for pedalboards (it is used on the Classic MIDI Pedalboard).
Each board transmits MIDI information on one MIDI channel. The channel number and other parameters are configured using the set button on the MKSC-4A and a sequence of notes on the keyboard. The built-in MIDI merge feature transmits MIDI messages received on the MIDI IN port to the MIDI OUT port. Thus, multiple boards may be chained together to support multi-manual organs. In this case, each MKSC-4A board should have a unique channel number.
Keyboards with parallel wiring (one wire per key) should use the MKSC-1A.
The MKSC-4A supersedes the MKSC-4 and MKSC-2.
- Converts key-switch information from a single, matrix-wired keyboard to MIDI data.
- Inputs for up to 61 notes, with key-switches wired in an 8x8 array (with diodes).
- Keys input support: MIDI Note On/Off, MIDI program change, Ahlborn stops control
- Three multi-functional analog inputs that can support any combination of the following: MIDI volume control, MIDI expression control, MIDI tuning control, Ahlborn Crescendo, MIDI Real-Time SysEx Master volume control, MIDI Real-Time SysEx Master Coarse Tuning, MIDI Real-Time SysEx Master Fine Tuning
- User-selectable MIDI Channel, Transpose and velocity values.
- Calibration function for analog inputs.
- MIDI-merge function allows chaining of multiple boards and MIDI devices.
- Software ‘switch de-bouncing’ performed to eliminate switching errors in older organs.
- Uses a standard 9V DC wall adaptor of either polarity.
- Low power consumption.
- Dimensions: 4.875" (width) x 2.25" (height).
This Key-Scan Computer can be installed on matrix-wired keyboards and pedalboards to turn them into MIDI-Keyboards.
The MKSC-4A is ideal for situations that demand functionality with space limitations. It is perfect for keyboards or pedalboards with high-quality gold or silver low-current contacts or reed switches. The MKSC-4A is used on the Classic MIDI pedalboard.
With the addition of the MKSC-4A, organ keyboards and pedalboards have the ability to communicate with MIDI devices such as sequencers. A musical performance may be captured using a MIDI sequencer for reference or study purposes.